1. Visit the National Great Rivers Museum – This museum showcases the history of great rivers and their significance to the world.
2. Tour Alton Cemetery – The oldest cemetery in Illinois, this is home to many prominent citizens who helped shape our nation’s destiny.
3. Explore Rock Springs Park – A beautiful park featuring a lake, picnic areas, walking trails and more for outdoor recreation.
4. Take a Ride on the Alton Belle Casino Riverboat – Enjoy gaming with stunning river views from this historic sternwheeler! 5. Check Out Lewis & Clark State Historic Site – Discover artifacts from America’s most famous expedition at this interactive museum and site along the Mississippi Riverbanks where explorers camped nearly 200 years ago! 6. Relax at Gordon F Moore Community Park– With over 1,000 acres of recreational area including sports fields, playgrounds, trails and more; it’s perfect for an afternoon getaway!
7 .Stroll Along Piasa Bird Trail- Travel through time as you explore geological formations shaped by thousands of years of water erosion along this scenic trail route near Alton Lake! 8 .
Visit Liberty Bank Amphitheater- Enjoy live music concerts during summer months or just relax in one of its lush green spaces while taking in breathtaking views across the Mississippi River Valley! 9 .Catch a Show at Jacoby Arts Center– Experience art exhibitions showcasing works from local artists or take part in educational workshops offered throughout year here too!
10 .Explore Elsah Village Historic District – Step back into small town life as you wander around old brick buildings lined with boutiques full of antiques and delicacies unique to Elsah village itself !
Alton, Illinois is a charming small town full of exciting attractions and activities to keep visitors entertained. From beautiful parks and trails, to unique restaurants and shops, there are plenty of things to do in Alton that make it one of the best places to visit in the Midwest. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or cultural exploration, here are 10 of the top attractions and places not-to-miss when visiting Alton:
1) Confluence Tower – offering stunning views over the riverfront; 2) National Great Rivers Museum – discover fascinating stories about rivers past & present; 3) Lewis & Clark State Historic Site – explore this natural area with hiking trails & exhibits;
4) Bluff City Grill – indulge in delicious seafood dishes; 5) Gordon Moore Park – take a stroll through lush greenery alongside scenic lakeside paths; 6) Argosy Casino Alton – try your luck at gambling games or enjoy live entertainment shows;
7) Piasa Palisades State Park – explore rocky cliffs overlooking nearby islands; 8 ) Alby Street Market – shop for fresh produce from local farmers’ markets stands ; 9 ) Raging Rivers Waterpark – cool off on hot summer days with thrilling water slides and rides ; 10 ) Jacoby Arts Center – marvel at contemporary art exhibitions from regional artists . With so many incredible sights to see, why not plan a trip today?
Top rated Tourist Attractions in Alton, United States | 2020
Things to Do in Alton, Il This Weekend
Alton, Illinois is a great destination for anyone looking to have some fun this weekend. There are plenty of outdoor activities in and around Alton that can be enjoyed, such as fishing at Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge or hiking along the Riverfront Trail. For those looking for more of an adventure, Big Muddy Adventures offers kayaking trips on the Mississippi River.
If you’re a fan of history, there are lots of historic sites to explore like the Liberty Bank Building and Elijah P. Lovejoy Monument. Art lovers will enjoy visiting the Jacoby Arts Center which showcases local artwork from all over Southern Illinois. Whatever your interests may be, there is something exciting to do in Alton this weekend!
Kid Friendly Things to Do in Alton, Il
Alton, IL is a great destination for families looking to have some fun together! There are plenty of kid-friendly activities in the area that will keep everyone entertained. From visiting the National Great Rivers Museum to exploring the rock formations at Piasa Palisades State Park, there is something for all ages.
You can also take a stroll along Alton’s historic riverfront and visit its numerous antique shops or explore one of its many parks with playgrounds and picnic areas. With so much to see and do, your family won’t be disappointed when they come to Alton!
Things to Do in Grafton, Il This Weekend
Grafton, IL is a great place to spend your weekend! Whether you’re looking for outdoor activities or things to do indoors, Grafton has something for everyone. This weekend, take advantage of the free music at the Grafton Music Festival on Saturday night and explore the shops in downtown Grafton throughout the day.
If you’re feeling adventurous, head over to Pere Marquette State Park and experience some of Illinois’ best hiking trails. There’s also a wide variety of restaurants and pubs located near downtown that offer delicious food and drinks as well as live entertainment. No matter what type of activity you prefer, there are plenty of things to do this weekend in Grafton!
Things to Do in Alton, Mo
Alton, Missouri is a great place to explore and find things to do! From outdoor activities like hiking, biking and fishing at the nearby Mark Twain National Forest, to fun attractions such as the World’s Largest Catsup Bottle Museum or Cave Hollow West Winery for an afternoon of wine tasting – there is something for everyone in Alton. Don’t forget about the local shops & restaurants that offer unique gifts & dining experiences.
With so much to do, Alton is sure to provide you with a memorable experience!
Places to Eat in Alton, Il
Alton, IL is a great place for food lovers! With its unique blend of local eateries and chain restaurants, there’s something to satisfy every palate. Whether you’re looking for classic American comfort food or exotic international cuisine, Alton has it all.
From Italian fare at Rigazzi’s or Italian Grill to Mexican dishes at El Palenque Restaurant or Sol Azteca, the city offers plenty of delicious choices. For a truly memorable experience, try dining on the outdoor patio of The Loading Dock Bar & Grill overlooking the Mississippi River.
Shopping in Alton, Il
Alton, Illinois is a great place to shop! With several boutique stores and antique shops, you can find something special for every occasion. Whether you’re looking for the latest fashion trends or antiques with a unique story behind them, Alton has it all.
From one-of-a-kind gifts to home décor items, there’s something for everyone in this charming riverside town. Plus, many of the businesses are locally owned and operated so your money stays within the community!
Things to Do near Me
If you’re looking for something to do near you, there are plenty of great options. Whether it’s a hike in the woods, a visit to the local museum, or an afternoon at the beach, there is boundless entertainment and activities available just waiting for you to explore. Make sure to check out your city’s website for upcoming events like festivals and concerts.
You can also look up attractions that might be nearby such as parks, outdoor recreation areas and historic sites. With so much going on around you, take the time to find something exciting that sparks your interest!
Date Ideas Alton, Il
If you’re looking for a fun and unique date night in Alton, IL, look no further! An evening on the Mississippi River is always a great option. Enjoy an unforgettable dinner cruise aboard The Spirit of Peoria where you can enjoy the stunning views while savoring delicious food.
Or take a romantic stroll down historic Main Street to explore the charming shops and restaurants. For more active dates, go rock climbing at Climb So iLL or take a stand up paddleboarding lesson with Rocktown Adventures. No matter what type of activity you choose, your date night in Alton will be one to remember!
What is Alton Il Famous For?
Alton IL is most famous for its scenic views along the Mississippi River. The city is also known for its historical attractions, including the Robert Wadlow Statue and Elijah P. Lovejoy Monument. Additionally, Alton IL has become a popular destination for outdoor activities like fishing, hiking and boating.
Notable features of Alton IL include: * Robert Wadlow Statue – A tribute to the tallest man ever recorded in medical history * Elijah P. Lovejoy Monument – Honoring a publisher killed while defending his press from an angry mob
* Great Rivers Scenic Byway – Offers beautiful landscapes along the Mississippi River * National Great Rivers Museum – Contains interactive exhibits about rivers and their ecosystems Alton’s rich heritage makes it one of Illinois’ most attractive destinations.
What is in Alton Illinois?
Alton, Illinois is a city located in Madison County on the Mississippi River. It is known for its rich history and scenic views of the river. Here are some things to see and do in Alton:
* Visit the National Great Rivers Museum – learn about the ecology, geology, and history of the three rivers that form this area. * Take a stroll along State Street – enjoy unique shops, galleries, restaurants and pubs. * Climb to the top of Piasa Bird – get an amazing view of Alton from one of its highest points.
* Relax at Rock Spring Park – take a leisurely walk or jog around this picturesque park with breathtaking views of both sides of Alton’s bluffs. Whatever you choose to do during your visit to Alton will surely be memorable!
What is the History of Alton Illinois?
Alton, Illinois is a city located along the Mississippi River in Madison County. It was founded in 1818 as a trading post and soon became an important port of call for travelers and settlers heading west.
History of Alton:
– 1818: Founded as a trading post by Rufus Easton, named after his son Alton Easton. – Early 1800s: Established as riverboat shipping center due to its location on the Mississippi River. – 1830s: Became home to numerous factories and businesses, beginning with brickyards and flour mills.
– 1906: Flooding caused significant damage throughout the city; however it was rebuilt shortly afterwards.
This post provided a comprehensive list of the best things to do in Alton, from outdoor activities to cultural attractions. Whether you’re looking for a day trip or an extended stay, there is something for everyone to explore and enjoy in Alton. With its rich history and wealth of activities, it’s no wonder that people flock here year round!
From the scenic views atop Raging Rivers Water Park to the serene atmosphere at Confluence Tower, take time out of your busy life and experience all that Alton has to offer.